Important Dates for Fall 2013
|Fall Semester 2013||Sept. 9, 2013 - Jan. 31, 2014|
|Semester Begins||Monday, September 9, 2013|
|Last Day to Change Elective Course||Tuesday, September 24, 2013|
|First Progress Report Period Ends||Friday, October 18, 2013|
|Last Day to Make Course Level Change||Monday,November 4, 2013|
|Second Progress Report Period Ends||Friday, December 6, 2013|
|Last Day to Drop A Class||Friday, December 20, 2013|
|Spring Semester Finals||Tues., Feb. 4 - Thurs., Feb. 6, 2014|
|End of Fall Semester||Thursday, February 6, 2014|
Fall 2014 Course Registration
Fall 2014 Course Registration
On Thursday, April 17 and Friday, April 18 current SJHHS students in grades 9, 10 and 11 will receive instructions in their English class for completing their fall 2014 course registration using their Student Portal. Registration using the portal will take place from Monday, April 21st through Friday, April 25th.
When accessing the Student Portal your child will see that they have been pre-enrolled in their English and social science classes (per grade level) in addition to math, science and world language (if grade appropriate or needed for college admissions). During the week of April 21st through April 25th students will add their elective classes via their student portal in addition to having an opportunity to discuss changes in their core classes (English, math, science, social science and world language) with their teachers. The deadline to add their electives will be Friday, April 25th.
Students who wish to make a level change in English or social science or add/drop math, science and world language (grades 11 and 12 only) will do so by using the “Fall 2014 Registration - Class Change Form” which can be found in the Guidance Office. Please note that all changes for core classes MUST be accompanied by a teacher and parent signature; no change will be made without signatures.
Please take the time to discuss your child’s schedule with them. Specifics regarding sophomore, junior and senior level classes and electives can be found by accessing the SJHHS Curriculum Guide on our website at http://www.sjhhs.org/curriculumguide. We also encourage you to review your child’s Four Year Personal Learning Plan which was created in their College and Career Planning class (saved in their School Loop locker), to ensure they are meeting their post-secondary academic goals.
Academic Advisors will be available during break, lunch and after school during the week of April 21st to assist students.
Is Your Senior on Track to Graduate?
Is your “senior” on track to graduate?
To ensure your senior student is on track to earn their high school diploma in June, you may view your child’s current graduation status via the Parent Portal by selecting “Graduation Status” under the “Grades” tab.
The Graduation Status is comprised of five columns. The first and second columns list the subject requirements and maximum number of credits needed per subject to earn a diploma. The third column, “Credit’s completed,” lists the credits your child completed by the end of their junior year. The fourth column lists the credits that your child is currently enrolled in and needs to complete for the fall 2013 semester, and the fifth column represents the credits that will need to be completed during your child’s final semester, spring 2014.
By the end of junior year, students should have completed 170 credits to be considered “on track” to earn a diploma. Students who have fewer than 170 credits are considered “at-risk.” Students “at-risk” of earning their diploma will most likely be enrolled in one or more of the following: 6 or 7 classes, the Academic Intervention class or the CUSD Online Credit Recovery Program.
Please note that the Graduation Status reflects graduation requirements only, not college admissions requirements. To ensure that your child is meeting college admission requirements please refer to the “Grades” tab and select “College Entrance Requirements.”
Please be advised that your child must pass all required courses indicated in the fourth and fifth columns under “Graduation Status” in order to earn their diploma and participate in the commencement ceremony on June 24, 2014. We encourage you and your child to monitor grades via School Loop to ensure success. If you have questions or concerns regarding your child’s graduation status or college admissions status, please contact your Academic Advisor.
San Juan Hills High School Guidance Staff
College Admissions Information
College Admissions Timeline
Are you unsure of the timeline for college admissions? Visit the SJHHS website at http://sjhhs.schoolloop.com/CollegeIntroduction to download a copy of the College Admissions Timeline and Checklist.
CSU (California State University) Application Window for fall 2014 Opens October 1st!
Seniors planning to apply to one of the 23 California State University (CSU) campuses for fall 2014 admission should begin working on their applications starting October 1st. The window for application submission will be open from October 1, 2013, until November 30, 2013. CSU encourages students to apply early!!
To apply to CSU students must:
SJHHS High School CEEB Code 054-181
- Obtain an unofficial copy of your high school transcript from the Guidance Office to be used to self-report your classes and grades on your CSU application.
- Complete CSU application and application fee for each CSU campus online at www.csumentor.org. Application window opens on October 1st and closes on November30th. Application fee is $55.00 per campus. Don’t delay, apply early!
- Contact College Board or ACT to have your SAT I or ACT test scores sent to the CSU campuses to which you've applied.
- Contact College Board/AP Central to have our AP scores sent to all CSU campuses to which you've applied.
- Take the required ELM (Entry Level Math) and EPT (English Placement Test) by the university posted deadline. For more information please log onto www.csumathsuccess.org or www.csuenglishsuccess.org
- Send official transcripts ONLY when directed to do so. CSU will determine your grade point average based on the classes and grades you self-report during the application process. The CSU campus which you commit to attend will prompt you to send an official transcript upon graduation from high school.
- CSU does not require letters of recommendation or a college essay.
UC (University of California) Window For Fall 2014 Open October 1st for students to begin working on their applications. The application submission window opens November 1st!
Seniors planning to apply to one of the 9 University of California (UC) campuses for fall 2013 admission should begin working on their applications beginning October 1, 2013. Although students can begin to work on their application, the window for application submission will be open from November 1, 2013, through November 30, 2013.
To apply to UC students must:
SJHHS CEEB Code 054-181
- Obtain an unofficial copy of your high school transcript from the Guidance Office to be used to self-report your classes and grades on your UC application.
- Complete UC application, college essay and application fee online at www.universityofcalifornia.edu./apply. Complete one UC application for all campuses applying to. Application fee is $70.00 per campus. Application window open from November 1st through November 30th. You can start your application during the month of October, but cannot submit it unit Nov. 1st.
- Contact College Board or ACT to have your SAT I or ACT, and your SAT II test scores sent to all UC campuses to which you've applied.
- Contact College Board/AP Central to have our AP scores sent to all UC campuses to which you've applied.
- Send official transcripts ONLY when directed to do so. UC will determine your grade point average based on the classes and grades you self-report during the application process. The UC campus which you commit to attend will prompt you to send an official transcript upon graduation from high school.
- UC does require a college essay. The prompt will be presented as part of the application.
- UC does not require letters of recommendation
Need Help with your CSU or UC Application?
Academic Advisors will be available to assist students with their CSU or UC application during the following application workshop. Students are encouraged to start their application at home and come prepared to the workshop with a copy of their unofficial high school transcript and any questions they need answered. The workshop will take place during tutorial on the following date:
CSU & UC Combined Application Workshop
Date: Thursday, October 17, 2013
When : 9:46 am – 10:21 am (tutorial)
Applying to a Private/Independent University?
To apply to private/independent University students must:
SJHHS CEEB Code 054-181
- Note that application deadlines for private universities will vary by institution –student must research follow deadlines per institution.
- Complete application for specific private or out of state university online by accessing the university website
- Complete application and supporting documents by specified deadlines; this includes campus specific scholarship deadlines
- Submit your OFFICIAL transcript by ordering is through Parchment/Docufide via the SJHHS website ~ Front page quick links; select ordering transcript.
- Contact College Board or ACT to have your SAT, AP or ACT test scores sent to campuses to which you've applied
Common Application – Be sure to check the Common Application network to see if the private/independent universities you are applying to are members. If so, you only complete one application online at www.commonapp.org for all colleges that you are applying to. Please note that if you do use the common application, Academic Advisors prefer that students complete their application online send the request or invitation to complete that the secondary and mid-year report be sent to us via our email address. Failure to record the correct email will result in your Academic not receiving the email invitation. Academic Advisors can be reached by email as follows:
- Mrs. Scherf (student last names A-Em) – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mrs. Acosta (student last names En-Lo) – email@example.com
- Mrs. Araujo (student last names Lu-Ri) – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mrs. Cassarino (student last names Ro-Z) – email@example.com
Applications to California or out of state private/independent universities often require the submission of letters of recommendation, secondary school reports and mid-year reports to be completed by Academic Advisors and teachers. If your child plans to apply to a private college/university please download the “Academic Advisor Evaluation Form, Letter of Recommendation Request Packet/Policy” from the SJHHS website at http://sjhhs.schoolloop.com/privatecolleges. This packet is REQUIRED!!!! Please note the following deadlines for packet submission:
Deadlines- College/Scholarship Evaluations and Recommendations
Monday, October 7, 2013
College applications or scholarships with a deadline in November or December
Monday, November 11, 2013
College applications or scholarships with a deadline of January 1st or later
A late request will result in either a generic letter written or no letter at all (at the discretion of the Academic Advisor or other evaluator depending on their workload and timeframe).
Please Note: Academic Advisors WILL NOT be available to complete college evaluation paperwork or recommendations during Winter Break. Please adhere to deadlines to avoid this.
Need to Order an Unofficial or Official Transcript?
- Unofficial Transcripts are available via the parent portal for free, or in the Guidance Office.
- Official Transcripts must be ordered online through Parchment/Docufide. To order an official transcript log onto the SJHHS website http://sjhhs.schoolloop.com/ and select “ordering transcripts” under Quick Links.
Generic Scholarship Application
Students who would like to be considered for local scholarships will need to complete the SJHHS Local Scholarship Application and return it to Mrs. Scherf in the Guidance Office by February 1, 2014. The application can be found on the SJHHS website at http://sjhhs.schoolloop.com/scholarships.
For information regarding scholarships, please visit the SJHHS website at http://sjhhs.schoolloop.com/scholarships . Please note that students are responsible for researching and applying for private scholarships. It’s VERY IMPORTANT to adhere to deadlines.
Financial Aid for College
For information regarding FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and other financial aid programs, please visit the SJHHS website at http://sjhhs.schoolloop.com/collegefinancialaid. Be sure to check out the download of the California Student Aid Commission – “Fund Your Future” publication; a comprehensive look at all financial aid programs available to students both federal and state.